Country Cornmeal Bread
"We grow over 1,000 acres of corn on our farm, so guests expect to enjoy some when they visit," says Arlene Riensche from Jesup, Iowa. "This country bread is a favorite when served warm."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5
- minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if
- needed). Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 112 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.