- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups fresh corn or frozen corn
- Sour cream, optional
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; make a well in the center. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and butter; pour into well and stir just until blended. Gently stir in corn; do not overmix. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Turn when bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Top with the sour cream, bacon and chives if desired. Yield: 14 corncakes.
Originally published as Country Corncakes in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p27
Reviews for Country Corncakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review