Country Corn Bread
A meal of chili can corn bread is a tradition for our Christmas Eve gatherings at my brother's house. I'm always asked to bring this corn breadthe lightest and fluffiest I've ever tasted.
Burdell Fossum of Plymouth, Minnesota
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and
- salt. Whisk together the egg, yogurt and oil. Stir into the dry
- ingredients just until combined.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until top is lightly browned
- and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve
- warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One piece equals 207 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 30 carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.