Country Cinnamon Swirl Bread
"My husband and I have three active sons, so I'm always busy in the kitchen," writes Sharon Walker of Huntington Station, New York. "This rich quick bread is a favorite. I like to cover loaves with colored plastic wrap to give as gifts."
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, 1 cup sugar and egg until blended.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to egg
- mixture alternately with buttermilk. In a small bowl, combine the
- cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Pour a third of the batter into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan;
- sprinkle with a third of the cinnamon-sugar. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before
- removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 158 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium,