- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Add the
- onion, beef consomme, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, bay leaf and
- browning sauce if desired.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat is
- tender. Remove roast to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Discard bay leaf. Add the mushrooms, beer and thyme to the pan. Bring
- to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Combine cornstarch
- and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy equals 326 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 750 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.