Country Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on all sides. Remove and keep warm. Drain. In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until almost crisp. Add green pepper and onion; saute until vegetables are tender. Drain.
- 2. Return chicken to skillet. Add the water, mushrooms, tomato, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- 3. Remove chicken and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine flour and broth until smooth. stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the chicken and noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 397 calories, 26 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.