- 3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon sherry or additional condensed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Place milk in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in cornflake mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, pepper and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk, broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chives. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Country Chicken with Gravy
"My son had me make this recipe twice in one week. It's a great meal. The only thing I did was double the gravy. I love homemade gravy. Thanks for a quick and delicious recipe."
"I substituted leftover panko and herb stuffing (crushed) and topped that off with Italian bread crumbs to make 3/4 C. The gravy was great. I gave this a 4 rather than a 5 because the chicken was nearly burned on the stove before it was anywhere near being done. I finished it off in the microwave. Next time I will bake the chicken. The flavor and crunch were really good."
"Wonderful!! I baked it as well and it was good and crispy, and the gravy was excellent!"
"Kids loved it. Will make it agin."
"I thought this was just "okay". I thought the gravy was too salty for my taste."
"Oh yum! Had this for supper tonight and everyone loved. The cornflakes gave a nice crunchy texture and are a nice change from bread crumb coated chicken. I modified the recipe a bit to feed my family of 6. The chives added such a nice flavor to the creamy gravy. I served this over mashed potatoes, and was the perfect meal without leaving you too full. Will be making again."