Country Cassoulet Recipe
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 2 uncooked garlic-flavored pork sausage links
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1. Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage links; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add bacon to skillet; cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to slow cooker.
- 3. In bacon drippings, cook pork and lamb until browned on all sides. Place in slow cooker. Stir in beans and remaining ingredients.
- 4. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beans are tender. Discard cloves and bay leaves. Remove sausage and cut into 1/4-in. slices; return to slow cooker and stir gently. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 375 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 950 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Reviews for Country Cassoulet
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.