- 1 pound (2 cups) dried great northern beans
- 2 Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage; remove with a slotted spoon to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add bacon to skillet; cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to slow cooker.
- In bacon drippings, cook pork and lamb until browned on all sides. Remove pork and lamb with a slotted spoon to slow cooker. Stir in beans and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook 3-4 hours longer. Discard cloves and bay leaves. Remove sausage and cut into 1/4-in. slices; return to slow cooker and stir gently. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Country Cassoulet
Sort By :
"This dish is FABULOUS, probably due to the fresh ingredients--I mean, it's mainly prepared from scratch. I skipped the bacon, used vegetable oil instead since I didn't have bacon and it was still good. Also I used veal stew meat because I could not find lamb. Finally, I used fresh Italian-style chicken sausage with Romano cheese since I could not find fresh garlic sausage either. Also used fresh thyme instead of dried. The whole house smelled wonderful. Like comfort food. The dish tastes complex although it is simple. French food at home! What a joy."