Country Captain Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 pound bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked rice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place chicken in a large bowl. Mix flour, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper; sprinkle over chicken and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic to drippings; cook and stir over low heat until tender. Increase heat to medium-high. Add curry powder; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, currants, parsley, thyme and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan.
- Bake, covered, 35-45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Skim fat. Serve chicken and sauce over rice; sprinkle with almonds and, if desired, additional parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Country Captain Chicken(1)
Sort By :
Have just noticed this chicken recipe, one which I'll be making not too far from now. Also noticed you live in Taylors, SC, Lo and behold ~ my nephew and wife also live in Taylors, and my brother and wife live in Greer. Small world it seems. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Sarah.