Country Captain Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 pound bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked rice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place chicken in a large bowl. Mix flour, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper; sprinkle over chicken and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic to drippings; cook and stir over low heat until tender. Increase heat to medium-high. Add curry powder; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, currants, parsley, thyme and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan.
- Bake, covered, 35-45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Skim fat. Serve chicken and sauce over rice; sprinkle with almonds and, if desired, additional parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Country Captain Chicken
Sort By :
"I think with 3 pounds of chicken, this recipe would serve far mare than 4 people. Would you please correct this?"
"Have just noticed this chicken recipe, one which I'll be making not too far from now. Also noticed you live in Taylors, SC, Lo and behold ~ my nephew and wife also live in Taylors, and my brother and wife live in Greer. Small world it seems. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Sarah."