Country Cabbage Soup
My mother-in-law, who is a wonderful cook, has shared many terrific recipes with me, including this one. Beef and tomatoes go nicely with cabbage, onion and celery. - Vicky Catullo, Youngstown, Ohio
12-14 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the tomatoes, cabbage, onions and celery; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in salt and pepper. Yield: 12-14
- servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Be creative when making Country Cabbage Soup. For instance, stir in some shredded carrots or frozen mixed vegetables. For a more filling soup, add 2 cups of cooked rice or pasta.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 144 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.