- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage into crust; sprinkle with cheese. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, mushrooms, peppers and onion; pour over cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Country Brunch Pie in Country April/May 2007, p51
Reviews for Country Brunch Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2009
"I suggest adding freshly sauteed mushrooms, onions,peppers with one clove of garlic, as opposed to recipe as is. I also deglazed the pan with 1/3 cup marsala wine. This was very tasty and delicious"