Country Bean Soup Recipe
I like to give this mix as a gift, layering the beans in a clear pint jar and attaching the soup directions with a festive ribbon. You'll find it's perfect to serve year-round.
- 1 cup each dried black beans, dried yellow split peas, dried green split peas, dried black-eyed peas, dried pinto beans, dried kidney beans, dried great northern beans and dried lentils
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 smoked ham hock (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1. Sort beans, peas and lentils; combine in a large bowl. Divide into four equal batches, 2 cups each. Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches.
- 2. To make one batch of soup: Rinse bean mixture with cold water. Place in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let soak for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 3. Drain and rinse bean mixture, discarding liquid. Return bean mixture to pan; add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until beans are tender. Remove ham hock; cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to pan. Heat through. Yield: 10 cups per batch.
1 cup: 547 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 29g fiber), 37g protein
Reviews for Country Bean Soup
Reviewed Sep. 3, 2009
"bean soup made with lima beans"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC