Country Bean Bake
“This recipe of my mom‘s makes the best baked beans I have ever eaten,“ writes Gloria Jarrett from Loveland, Ohio. “I’ve taken them to summer and fall picnics, Super Bowl parties, family reunions, etc. and am always asked for the recipe. An added bonus? Make-ahead convenience!“
15 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (16 ounces) Boston baked beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the sausage, beans, pineapple,
- apple, onion, ketchup, molasses and lemon juice.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325°
- for 60-70 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese
- is melted. Yield: 15 servings (2/3 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2/3 cup) equals 294 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 756 mg sodium,