Country Apple Cobbler Recipe
Field editor Mavis Diment of Marcus, Iowa writes, "This is my Aunt Goldie's recipe. She is without a doubt one of the family's best cooks. I like the touch of cheddar in the batter."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Whipped topping, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, water, tapioca and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in the apples until coated. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in butter and milk just until moistened. Fold in cheese and walnuts. Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 437 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 333 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC