Field editor Mavis Diment of Marcus, Iowa writes, "This is my Aunt Goldie's recipe. She is without a doubt one of the family's best cooks. I like the touch of cheddar in the batter."
Recommended: 32 Sweet and Tart Rhubarb Dessert Recipes
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, water, tapioca and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in the apples until coated. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in butter and milk just until moistened. Fold in cheese and walnuts. Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Country Apple Cobbler in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p10
Reviews for Country Apple Cobbler
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2011
"Perfection. A wonderful, warm, homey recipe with the delicious traditional flavor combination of apples and cheddar cheese reinterpreted in a delightful way. We have this often during the cooler months."