Cottage Potpie Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 1. In a saucepan, combine onion, carrots, garlic and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain, reserving liquid to make gravy if desired. in a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add reserved vegetables and mix well. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned. If desired, make gravy with reserved vegetable liquid; serve with potpie. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 288 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,096 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Cottage Potpie
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.