"I often make this recipe from my cousin for our family reunion...and there's never any left to take home," relates Mary Sholtis of Ashtabula, Ohio
12-14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 12 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 slice bread, torn
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with
- water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for
- 5-7 minutes or until tender; drain. In a bowl, combine the cheese,
- onion, green pepper, pimientos, bread, 2 tablespoons parsley and
- In a greased shallow 4-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the potatoes
- and a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Pour milk
- and butter over all; sprinkle with cornflake crumbs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15
- minutes longer or until bubbly and top is golden. Sprinkle with
- remaining parsley. Yield: 12-14 servings.