- 12 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 slice bread, torn
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender; drain. In a bowl, combine the cheese, onion, green pepper, pimientos, bread, 2 tablespoons parsley and salt.
- In a greased shallow 4-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the potatoes and a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Pour milk and butter over all; sprinkle with cornflake crumbs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and top is golden. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Cottage Potatoes
"37cathy37, read the ingredients and directions one more time. It does not say 2 tablespoons of salt. It says 2 tablespoons of parsley AND salt, which is listed as 1/2 teaspoon."
"Did you really mean 2Tbsp of salt?"
"Every-things sound great, but why the bread? :~( made without the bread."
"I substituted shredded colby/jack for velveeta, garlic salt for salt, and french fried onions for cornflakes. I omitted diced pimentos and bread. I added 2 cloves garlic, minced. I also only used 6 potatoes. It was fantastic!"