- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a small saucepan, heat cottage cheese to 110°-115°. Add the cottage cheese, eggs, sugar, salt, baking soda and 2 cups flour to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 pieces. Shape each piece into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Cottage Cheese Yeast Rolls
"Awesome rolls! Very tender and moist! I made this recipe in my bread machine on the dough cycle (I did need to add several extra tablespoons of flour & even then, the dough was pretty sticky) and baked in the oven after proofing. I made larger buns to use for sandwiches for a meal after our church's Ash Wednesday service. I will definitely make these again! They would make spectacular hamburger buns as well!"
"I have been making these rolls on special occasions for the last three years (at least). I have never heard people fuss over dinner rolls much before but these rolls make the unsuspecting guest go gaga. They became an instant tradition in our family; kids and adults can't wait to grab one. They are tender and somewhat rich in flavor due to the cottage cheese. Homemade bread is never a breeze to make, but if you enjoy the 2-3 hour homemade bread making process this is a recipe worth trying. Plus, the leftovers reheat easily (throw in a 350F oven for a minute or two)."
"These are wonderful, have had the recipe for.several years. I've made them several times. Yum!"