- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sesame seeds, optional
- In a bowl, combine the boiling water and potato flakes; mix well. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the sugar, salt, 1 egg and oil until blended. Stir cottage cheese into the potatoes; add to yeast mixture and mix well. Beat in 3 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 24 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cottage Cheese Rolls in Reminisce July/August 2001, p48
Reviews for Cottage Cheese Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 7, 2012
I had my doubts about the cottage cheese in these, but they are light and delicious. I find I make these often. Great for burgers, sandwiches or with dinner.