Corny Tomato Dumpling Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- CORN DUMPLINGS:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomatoes, broth, onion, garlic and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- 2. For dumplings, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In another large bowl, beat egg; stir in milk, corn, cheese and parsley. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 324 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 695 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Corny Tomato Dumpling Soup
"Very tasty! Was a hit with everyone, even better the next day."
"Very good... my family enjoyed it and it's quick and easy to make. Perfect for a mom of 2 like me. - Beckie"