For an unique tasting shortcake, I make these. They are surprisingly sweet yet savory in flavor.—Janet Murchie, Easley, South Carolina
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups corn muffin mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat and set aside. In a bowl, combine the muffin mix, egg, corn and milk. Spread into a greased 9-in. round baking pan.
- Combine the sour cream, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and reserved onion; spread over the batter. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Corny Onion Shortcake in Country Woman July/August 1993, p36
Reviews for Corny Onion Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review