Corny Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
I dreamed up this family favorite after dining on something similar in a restaurant. My family asks for these potatoes on special occasions, but I like them anytime. They're a nice change from our everyday mashed potatoes. -Patti Lacey, Lincoln, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Brush with oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut top off garlic head, leaving the root end intact. Squeeze softened garlic into a large bowl; set aside.
- 3. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and add to garlic. Add the butter, sour cream, milk and parsley; mash. Stir in the onions, corn, salt and pepper.
- 4. Spoon into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 346 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC