- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in corn and onion.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Corny Corn Bread
"I knew better...1 c. of oil? Nope, shouldn't have done it. The cornbread was oily from top to bottom. Completely inedible."
"I usually make this to go along with the Heartwarming chili (also here on TOH). With a large family, I'm glad it makes a lot. It is very moist & really yummy and we just love the corn baked right into it."