Cornucopia Salad Recipe
I first enjoyed this salad at a church potluck and has since become a Thanksgiving tradition at my house. I've made some adjustments to the original recipe to please my vegetarian friends, but you can add cooked chicken. For a complete meal, add 3 cooked and shredded chicken breasts to salad mix.—Cheryl Peterman, Prescott, Arizona
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, optional
- In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, stir almonds and sugar until sugar is melted and almonds are coated. Cool on waxed paper. Break apart and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, romaine, celery, onions and cranberries. Add oranges and apple.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with almonds and blue cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cornucopia Salad in Taste of Home A+ Recipes from Schools Across America 2013, p105
Reviews for Cornucopia Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review