Cornmeal Yeast Rolls Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 cups warm skim milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted reduced-fat butter, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, cornmeal, egg substitute, sugar, oil, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide into six portions. Divide each into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place two balls in each muffin cup coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Lightly brush with additional melted butter if desired. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 120 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Cornmeal Yeast Rolls
"delicious and easy."