Cornmeal Yeast Rolls Recipe
These moist rolls have a glossy, golden color and sweet cornmeal flavor. They're great alongside your favorite chili, soup or stew on a cold winter's night.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 cups warm skim milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Additional melted reduced-fat butter, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, cornmeal, egg substitute, sugar, oil, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into six portions. Divide each into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place two balls in each muffin cup coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Lightly brush with additional melted butter if desired. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Cornmeal Yeast Rolls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p37
Reviews for Cornmeal Yeast Rolls(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Rolls >