VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 7-1/4 to 7-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- Melted butter
- In a bowl, combine 3 cups of flour, cornmeal and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat milk, butter, sugar and salt until a thermometer reaches 120°-130° (butter does not need to melt). Blend into yeast mixture on low just until moistened. Add eggs; beat on low for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Punch dough down; knead four to five times. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, abut 30 minutes. Brush with butter.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Cornmeal Yeast Bread in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p17