Cornmeal Waffle Sandwiches Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat waffle maker. Whisk together first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- 2. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Bake 3 waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- 3. Cut waffles into fourths. Spread mayonnaise on six; top with bacon, tomatoes, seasonings and remaining waffle pieces to make sandwiches. Serve immediately. Yield: 3 waffles.
1/2 waffle: 448 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1147mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Cornmeal Waffle Sandwiches
"We love this recipe. I often make it for a quick dinner. I usually double the recipe to feed my family and have enough leftovers for lunch the next day. I also do not separate my eggs. To lower the fat content I use 1T butter or Smart Balance and I will use bacon bits instead of bacon."
"Fantastic, easy, and a wonderful change of pace. You won't be disappointed."