Cornmeal Waffle Sandwiches Recipe
Craving a BLT for breakfast? Try this deliciously different version that features crisp bacon and fresh tomatoes between two golden cornmeal waffles. "Prepare the waffles ahead of time and reheat in the toaster for quick assembly," suggests Stacy Joura from Stoneboro, Pennsylvania.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Add milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter.
- 3. Bake 12 waffles in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- 4. Spread mayonnaise on six waffles; top each with bacon, tomato, salt, pepper and remaining waffles. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 341 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 954 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC