Cornmeal Waffle Sandwiches Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Add milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in cheese.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter.
- 3. Bake 12 waffles in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- 4. Spread mayonnaise on six waffles; top each with bacon, tomato, salt, pepper and remaining waffles. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 341 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 954mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein
Reviews for Cornmeal Waffle Sandwiches
"Always looking for new ways to serve breakfast for dinner. This recipe shot up to the head of the list as a hearty, delicious member of that class. Especially good for me, who believes all food is better in a sandwich!"
"We love this recipe. I often make it for a quick dinner. I usually double the recipe to feed my family and have enough leftovers for lunch the next day. I also do not separate my eggs. To lower the fat content I use 1T butter or Smart Balance and I will use bacon bits instead of bacon."
"Fantastic, easy, and a wonderful change of pace. You won't be disappointed."