Cornmeal Sombrero Pie Recipe
I've been making this dish in winter instead of chili for the last 20 years. Although there's just the two of us, we rarely have much left over.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, corn, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; place over the meat mixture. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 piece: 424 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Cornmeal Sombrero Pie
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC