Cornmeal Sombrero Pie Recipe
I've been making this dish in winter instead of chili for the last 20 years. Although there's just the two of us, we rarely have much left over.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a skillet, cook beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, corn, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; place over the meat mixture. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Cornmeal Sombrero Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p199
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cornmeal Sombrero Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review