- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a skillet, cook beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, corn, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; place over the meat mixture. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Cornmeal Sombrero Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p199
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cornmeal Sombrero Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review