Cornmeal Rolls Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Additional cornmeal
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 1-3/4 cups water, cornmeal, sugar, oil and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 9-11 minutes. Cool to 120°-130°. Place in a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in remaining water; add to cornmeal mixture. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into 24 balls. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with butter and sprinkle with cornmeal. Let rise, uncovered, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan; serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 132 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Cornmeal Rolls
"These have been our families' favorite rolls for years. They are a staple item in our Thanksgiving menu! They are hearty and delicious!"
"We all love these rolls and look forward to them on Easter with our dinner and any other time that I take the time to make these!"
"delicious and easy"