Cornmeal Rolls Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Additional cornmeal
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 1-3/4 cups water, cornmeal, sugar, oil and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 9-11 minutes. Cool to 120°-130°. Place in a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in remaining water; add to cornmeal mixture. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into 24 balls. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with butter and sprinkle with cornmeal. Let rise, uncovered, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan; serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 132 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Cornmeal Rolls
"These have been our families' favorite rolls for years. They are a staple item in our Thanksgiving menu! They are hearty and delicious!"
"delicious and easy"