Cornmeal Parker House Rolls Recipe
My mom deserves the credit for making this recipe a family tradition. These sweet tender rolls have been on every holiday table at her house for as long as I can remember.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the sugar, cornmeal and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Cool to 110°-115°.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs and cornmeal mixture. Beat in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Brush with melted butter.
- 4. Using the dull edge of a table knife, make an off-center crease in each roll. Fold along crease so the large half is on top; press along folded edge. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 108 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC