Cornmeal Pan Rolls Recipe
“These delightful golden rolls are always requested at Thanksgiving and Christmas,” notes Vivian Eccles of Gridley, Kansas. “The recipe is one we’ve enjoyed for years.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and 2 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan or two 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over rolls. Invert onto wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 roll equals 105 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC