- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and 2 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan or two 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over rolls. Invert onto wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Cornmeal Pan Rolls
"These were good but not great. The texture was somewhat off and seemed too dense."
"The rolls came out ok , but not my best ones. First , the batter was real soft after beating with dough blades (3 minutes)and I had to add almost 1-1/2 extra cups of flour to get it up to the kneading stage...they did rise..and bake ok ,,but flavor was not the best.. as far as comment being made about cornmeal not for human consumption ,,welll .. I have seen PLENTY OF HUMAN HOGS..PIG OUT ON THEIR FOOD IN MANY OF PLACES IN MY JOURNEY THRU LIFE ... so that should settle the cornmeal issue.... lol...."
"They were a little flat and did not have a very good flavor. They were a bit blah for a homemade bread. Ordinarily, I would give a recipe a second chance in case I did something wrong but I don't think I will with these."
"These are wonderful.I will be adding this to my holiday tables this year."
"These rolls turned out absolutely Awesome! I also disagree about the review from LeahAnnJ. This is a spot designed for comments on taste, helpful hints, etc. Her comment was way off the wall and completely unacceptable!!! This recipe was off the chart wonderful--That's the main thing here. Not about livestock feeding!"