Cornmeal Onion Rings
My husband says these onion rings are the best he's ever eaten. The cornmeal and pecans give them a special crunch.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds onions
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; separate into rings. In a shallow
- bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk until blended. In another shallow
- bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, pecans, salt and pepper. Dip
- onion rings in egg mixture, then coat with flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer heat 1 in. of oil to
- 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes
- on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 8