- 7 cups milk or water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal until blended. Cook and stir until thickened. Spread into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, red pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add soy sauce; cook for 8-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir until blended. Gradually stir in cream; cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove cornmeal crust from pans; place one in a greased 4-qt. baking dish (lasagna pan). Top with half of the mushroom mixture; sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Top with the second cornmeal crust and remaining mushroom mixture and cheeses.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Let stand 15-20 minutes before cutting. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Cornmeal Mushroom Casserole in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p47
Reviews for Cornmeal Mushroom Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Make Ahead Dinner Recipes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >