This recipe makes six miniature loaves that can be baked, cooled and tucked into your freezer. To reheat, wrap in foil and bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional cornmeal
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, eggs, salt, cornmeal and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into size pieces. Shape each into 6-in. oval loaf. Grease two baking sheets; sprinkle with cornmeal. Place three loaves 3 in. apart on each prepared pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make three shallow diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 mini loaves.
Originally published as Cornmeal Mini Loaves in Best of Country Breads 2000, p51
Reviews for Cornmeal Mini Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review