Cornmeal Ham Cakes Recipe
These cakes are great for breakfast, but my husband and I also enjoy them for supper. It’s a fantastic way to use up leftover ham. —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- PINEAPPLE MAPLE SYRUP:
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine the eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until well blended. Fold in ham. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, saute pineapple and cinnamon in butter for 4-6 minutes or until pineapple is browned. Stir in maple syrup. Serve with pancakes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cornmeal Ham Cakes in Taste of Home December/January 2006, p31
Reviews for Cornmeal Ham Cakes(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 12, 2014
Delicious and different! I served breakfast for dinner with a side of bacon.