- large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water, a little at a time, until dough forms a ball. Cover
- and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide pastry into two balls; roll half out on a lightly floured
- surface to a 16-in. circle. Cut into four 7-1/2-in. rounds. Place
- 1/2 cup filling on each round. Combine egg and water; brush on
- pastry edges. Fold dough over to form half circles; crimp edges to
- seal. Repeat with other half of pastry and remaining filling.
- Place on greased baking sheets; brush tops with remaining egg
- mixture. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly
- browned. Serve with taco sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 631 calories, 35 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 748 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.