- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and mustard; cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in cheese and milk just until moistened.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 26-28 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
"I have made these biscuits a couple times and loved them for their ease, but the biscuit seemed too dry and crumbly. To remedy this, I added 2 tbsp. of softened butter with the shortening. Make certain to mix well. I baked them in muffin tins since the batter was more runny. I didn't grease the tins since they were nonstick and there was extra butter in the recipe. The muffins came out with a cornmeal crust that is slightly crunchy and they weren't dry - didn't even need butter. My husband liked this version much better."
"These turned out wonderful. The only thing I did different is I used butter instead of shortening. Will definitely be making these again."
"So easy and good! My favorite kind of biscuit, anyway."