Cornmeal-Crusted Walleye Recipe
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 4 large ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 walleye fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 15 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, brush corn with 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Peel off and discard charred skin from peppers. Remove stems and seeds. Finely chop peppers. Cut corn from cobs.
- 3. In a shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and cayenne. Coat walleye in cornmeal mixture.
- 4. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add peppers, corn and remaining salt; saute 2-3 minutes longer.
- 5. In another large skillet, fry fillets in remaining oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with corn salsa. Yield: 4 servings (about 4 cups corn salsa).
1 fillet with 1 cup corn mixture equals 515 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 169 mg cholesterol, 937 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.