Cornmeal Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
I always loved the aroma of Mom's kitchen, especially when these sweet, tender rolls were in the oven. When I take them to a potluck, people always snitch before serving time.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg, optional
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and cornmeal. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add the sugar, butter and salt; cool to 110°-115°.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, cornmeal mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place raisins in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle; brush with melted butter. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg if desired; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with raisins.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 12 slices. Place, cut side down, in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans on wire racks.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, butter, cream cheese, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread or drizzle over rolls. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cornmeal Cinnamon Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p76
Reviews for Cornmeal Cinnamon Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review