Cornish Hens with Wild Rice Recipe
This recipe started out as my grandmother's. My mother added the mushroom soup and the green peppers...I added the cheddar cheese. I think this dish represents our region because so much wild rice is grown here.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 bacon strips
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each), halved
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a saucepan, combine soup and milk. Cook over medium heat until smooth; stir in cheese.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. In drippings, saute onion and green pepper until tender. Add to soup mixture along with wild rice; mix well. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; top with bacon. Combine flour, salt, paprika and pepper in a heavy plastic bag; place one or two hens at a time in bag and shake to coat well.
- 3. In another skillet, Brown hens in oil on all sides. Arrange on top of rice mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 873 calories, 52 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 234 mg cholesterol, 1,062 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 48 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC