This recipe started out as my grandmother's. My mother added the mushroom soup and the green peppers...I added the cheddar cheese. I think this dish represents our region because so much wild rice is grown here.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 bacon strips
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each), halved
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, combine soup and milk. Cook over medium heat until smooth; stir in cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. In drippings, saute onion and green pepper until tender. Add to soup mixture along with wild rice; mix well. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; top with bacon. Combine flour, salt, paprika and pepper in a heavy plastic bag; place one or two hens at a time in bag and shake to coat well.
- In another skillet, Brown hens in oil on all sides. Arrange on top of rice mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cornish Hens with Wild Rice in Country Extra November 1992, p47
Reviews for Cornish Hens with Wild Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review