Cornish Hens with Veggies Recipe
"It's easy to serve an elegant dinner when these nicely seasoned game hens with roasted vegetables are on the menu," remarks Arlene Lauritzen of Genoa, Illinois. "This bountiful platter makes such a pretty presentation for a special occasion."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:4 servings
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2-inch slices, optional
- 1. Place the hens, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan; tie drumsticks together. Combine butter, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper; spoon over hens. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, peel a 1-in. strip around the center of each potato. Place potatoes and carrots if desired in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain; add to roasting pan.
- 3. Baste hens and vegetables with pan drippings. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180° and vegetables are tender. Strain pan drippings and thicken for gravy if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 704 calories, 44 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 245 mg cholesterol, 858 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 39 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC