"It's easy to serve an elegant dinner when these nicely seasoned game hens with roasted vegetables are on the menu," remarks Arlene Lauritzen of Genoa, Illinois. "This bountiful platter makes such a pretty presentation for a special occasion."
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2-inch slices, optional
- Place the hens, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan; tie drumsticks together. Combine butter, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper; spoon over hens. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, peel a 1-in. strip around the center of each potato. Place potatoes and carrots if desired in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain; add to roasting pan.
- Baste hens and vegetables with pan drippings. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180° and vegetables are tender. Strain pan drippings and thicken for gravy if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cornish Hens with Veggies in Country Woman January/February 2001, p40
Reviews for Cornish Hens with Veggies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review