Cornish Hens with Rice Stuffing Recipe
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Set the seasoning packet from rice mix aside. In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add rice and pecans; saute over low heat for 10 minutes or until rice is golden brown. Stir in the orange juice, water, raisins and contents of seasoning packet; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup rice mixture into each hen; refrigerate remaining rice mixture. Tie legs of each hen together; turn wing tips under backs. Place on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; brush over hens. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat juices run clear and a meat thermometer inserted into stuffing reads 165°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. Heat reserved rice mixture; serve with hens. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cornish Hens with Rice Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p10
Reviews for Cornish Hens with Rice Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 19, 2013
Delish!! This was quite tasty; especially the the slightly orange-flavored rice. We substituted dried cranberries for the raisins. I will definitely be making this dish again.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes For Two >
- Side Dishes for Two >
- Stuffing Recipes >